Strand of hair nearly severs child's toe | News
Temple Terrace, Florida -- Doctors say a strand of hair was so tightly wrapped around a child's toe, it was nearly cut off.
Kimberly Grubb brought her baby daughter Norah Saed to University Community Hospital early Friday, because she was crying so much. That's when doctors discovered one toe was nearly amputated, and others severely swelled because of a hair strand wrapped around them.
Photo Gallery: Baby's Toe Nearly Severed by Hair
"Four nurses came in, held her down. They had scissors and tweezers to open it up. They had to hold her down and she was screaming... and I was crying from that, just from her screaming," recalls Grubb. She adds she felt guilty, because the strand of hair responsible for the whole thing was likely her own.
Doctors say it's actually a common occurrence, and even has its own name, called "hair tourniquet syndrome."
After the ordeal, Grubb recommends families wash their children's clothes separately from their own.
You May Also Like...
- Most notorious or unusual mug shots we've seen
- Teen accused of pistol-whipping mom arrested again
- Black bear, bicyclist collide
- Officer investigated after telling man to avoid bad part of town
- Mortgage company has man's home trashed
- Pictures: Miss Florida 2011
- Jury seated in "Python Trial"
- More unusual mug shots and other photo galleries